Monday, October 09, 2006

CrossFit Hits The High Seas

I just returned from my first cruise (no I'm not in the Navy...this was one of those wimpy Love Boat excursions.). It was a 7 day trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas aboard the Diamond Princess. Now that's a big boat.

We dropped our luggage off in our room and headed straight to the "Fitness Center" to check out the facilities: a jogging track (approx. 160m), a basketball court, and weight room with a bunch of Cybex machines and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. And an 8 foot high ceiling. I had to improvise a bit. I used the DB's in the gym (and on deck occasionally) and did my bodyweight exercises on deck. I did pullups from any piping I found overhead. I ran on the track and even used the machines once (yuck). I did one workout in the early afternoon and one at about 2am everyday.

Day 1:
Workout #1: Fran: 21-15-9 Thrusters (45lb DB's)/Pullups from piping overhead.
Workout #2: 160 m walking lunges with 25 pushups/25 squats every 20 strides

Day 2:
#1: 3 rounds: 15 squats with 50 lb DB's/1 Arm Bench and Row x15 with 50lb DB's
#2: 5x10 pullups/7x3 handstand pushups

Day 3:
#1: DB Squat Clean with 45 lb DB's x 10/10 pushups. Did 10 sets in 18:10.
#2: Tabata bike

Day 4:
#1: 5 rounds: 5+5 One Leg Squat/1 Arm DB Press (50lb)/Lat Pulldown x 10
#2: Max Pullups x 2/ Max Pushups x 1

Day 5:
#1: Machine Circuit, 10 reps at each machine. Really reminded me how bad machines suck. I will never sell out!!!
#2: 400m run/50 pushups/400m run/50 squats/400m run/50 situps/400m run/50 pullups

Day 6:
#1: 1 mile swim
#2: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 reps with 50 lb DB's on Hang Squat Clean/RDL/Military Press. Exercises done one right after the other with no rest. Minimal rest between sets. This was my wife's invention...very cool (Thx LR!!!)

Day 7:
#1: Angie (100 reps of pullups/pushups/squats/situps)
#2: 3 x 800m + 50 pullups.

I had a great time putting these workouts together and making the most of the situation. Like Coach B (and FDR) says, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” But I'm glad to be back on firm ground in my garage. Pictures to be posted soon (thx JG).

6 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site rocks!!!

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great workouts Rochet. Lauren's circuit sounds like a killer. These give me some good ideas.
Later, Josh

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One question... the picture on crossfit.com... are those gigantic DB's or do you just have a really small head?

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger USD STRENGTH said...

Mean spirited people who make fun of the size of my tiny head are not welcome on this blog. Those are in fact giant dumbbells. At least I never went on a "bread diet"...inside joke with Josh Everett, the insidious anonymous poster of the small head comment.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how much money we made back then... 99cents a day for food sounded like a good idea until my body fell apart
Josh

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! I am going on a cruise in about a month and was looking for wods to do while I'm there :]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home